Sunday, February 15, 2009

Taking class online

Well, I haven't really been a big fan of being an online student, but I must admit that last week's session changed my mind. I liked it that I could see the class live and interact in real time with my fellow online students, Zack and Angie. Our conversations were not only relevant, but funny, too!

Also, our guest speaker was engaging and I felt that I really learned a lot from him. What kinda bums me out, though, is that I use my Twitter account exclusively for science news updates (Mars Pheonix, Spirit, Opportunity, Cassini, Earth Observer, etc.) and I feel that by following anything other than my science updates will clutter up my Twitter account--people's random musing and updates will pepper my stream of science news.

5 comments:

  1. It was great going through class with a few other people. I had been really critical of using Elluminate the first week, but when there are others having the same experience that you can collaborate with, it makes the whole thing much better.

    Plus the three of us wrote a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear the online component went well. I agree that for some situations, the online back channel discussions actually make a richer learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! I agree. And it was nice to make a story together. I am part of a group of people who are geographically separated and we use the wiki a lot to brainstorm, share ideas, and compose/edit copy to represent ourselves.

    One thing that is pretty important is that people need to work on the wiki one at a time--like we did! Otherwise you might end up overwriting each other's work (I try to keep my drafts offline).

    Also, sometimes my wireless gets intermittent and suddenly my stuff can get lost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd have to say that our experience writing our story was amazing. We were able to create a story that was fluid and cute. I agree with you in regards to working on it one at a time because by reading Zack and your parts it helped me create mine. Yaye for teamwork! Like Zack, I had my opinions about online learning but this week made it quite an experience. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to hear that you had a good time writing the story. I enjoyed reading your group story.

    ReplyDelete